10 Reasons to Eat Seaweed Everyday
Sea Greens are the most nutritionally dense plants on the planet. Ounce for ounce, they are higher in vitamins and minerals than any other food.
1. They contain 10 to 20 times the minerals of land plants, and all the necessary trace elements of life, many of which are depleted in the Earth’s soil. The same 56 elements that circulate in sea water flow through your veins. Rich in fiber, A, D, B , E, C, K, a broad range of carotene’s, and is one of the only non-animal sources of vitamin B12.
2. They Remove Radiation and Heavy Metals from the Body
With the radiation issue we’re experiencing, I’d like to do everything I can to remove heavy metals as much as possible from my body. The sodium alginate ( a compound present in almost all seaweed) will bind with heavy metals (like mercury) and chemical poisons, eliminating them from the body, as well as radiation. Sea greens can actually convert heavy metals and radiation into harmless salts that our bodies can eliminate.
3. Contain 10 Times More Iron than Spinach
Seaweed contains 10 x more iron than spinach and makes hair grow like crazy – even turning gray hair dark again (if diet is healthy).
4. Easy to Eat
Seaweed is a miracle food therefore, it’s a good idea to have it in your meals everyday. Since it’s dried, you can carry it around with you and add it to your food wherever you go. I put seaweed in my dressings and sauces in place of salt. Sometimes I even eat it straight from the packaging as a snack, it’s delicious! You can also soak sea weeds for a few minutes in citrus, or vinegar, (like apple cider vinegar) to help tenderize sea greens.
5. Nourishes the Endocrine System
They nourish the endocrine system, especially the thyroid and adrenal glands. They contain iodine to keep the thyroid functioning normally and are high in natural sodium. They provide full spectrum concentrations of beta carotene, enzymes, amino acids, fiber, octacosanol and tissue oxygenation. The salty taste is not just salt, but a balanced combination of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and trace minerals.
6. Sea greens help re-mineralize us.
They convert inorganic ocean minerals into organic mineral salts that combine with amino acids. Their rich antioxidant qualities are effective toxin scavengers for detoxification. They strengthen against disease and reduce excess stores of fluid and fat.
7. Protects us from many diseases and ailments. Sea greens are anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal and anti-cancer, and fight against obesity, asthma and arteriosclerosis. Algin absorbs toxins from digestive tract and improves cell development and nerve function.
8. Excellent Vegan Source of Protein
Kelp proteins are comparable to animal proteins. They provide a full range of amino acids, active enzymes and EFA’s. The seaweed type “Nori” (the Irish call it Laver) contain 50% protein – higher than any other sea plant and is 70% assimilable.
9. For Strong Bones
Sea weeds build strong bones because of high levels of magnesium, calcium, iron and vitamin D.
10. For Numerous other Great Reasons like increasing energy and sex drive, deactivating candida yeast, regulating hormones, lowering cholesterol, reducing cellulite, improving eye conditions, lessening stretch marks, lowering blood pressure, aiding allergies, vaginal infections, smoothing skin and draining lymph nodes. Sea greens also help with chronic fatigue, HIV, arthritis, herpes, menopause and chlamydia.
My favorites types of Seaweed:
There are hundreds of popular seaweeds and I haven’t tried too many yet. The ones I’ve tasted and love are Nori (what I use to wrap my sushi), Kelp, Dulse, Wakame and Kombu. There are many recipes you can find online with seaweed. I’ll be posting some soon!
It’s best to buy them whole so they will contain alginic acid which binds with toxins, heavy metals and radiation in the intestines rendering them indigestible and carries them out of the system. The less processed, the better.
Some great sources for naturally dried (not toasted or roasted) sea weeds are www.theseaweedman.com and www.seaveg.com. These come from the northeast Atlantic coast of America, far from Pacific radiation poisoning.
I usually buy this brand at Whole Foods:
Sources: TheSeaWeedMan.com and Free Food and Medicine Guide by Markus Rothkranz.
Thank you for reading! This article was written by Diana Paez, a living foods devotee, natural hygienist, and raw chef in the making. If you liked this post, and want to show your appreciation, please like, share or comment below. I’d love to hear from you! I am always open to any questions, suggestions, or comments. You are welcome to share the information in this article in your own blog or page, all I ask is that you link back to this post.
Love, Peace and Health to you, friends. ❤
2 Responses to “10 Reasons to Eat Seaweed Everyday”
I live in Montreal, Canada and enjoy snacking on toasted nori, however, I am getting freaked out about the mercury & radiation content. I try to buy organic but it comes from the Paciific waters also and I am not too sure that it is not contaminated as well. I have also bought from a Philippino grocery store and I am told by the owner that he and his family snack on Nori every day and have for most of their lives. He also says that Nori and other seaweed actually protect you from chemicals and heavy radiation. What do you think?
Just as many reasons not to eat. The bad out weighs the good. The salt, and b12 analogs are some of the most important reasons to avoid.